Apr 20, 2007

Hello???


My job as a service officer requires me to be on the phone most of the time, whether it’s making business calls or answering them. So, I know quite a bit about telephone courtesy.

When answering a business phone, I find it appropriate to begin by stating the name of my agency, and following it up with a greeting, like good morning, for instance. Answering a business phone with the household standard, “hello”, is, to me, just so unprofessional. Introducing the name of your company is a form of marketing, isn’t it? And it only takes a few nanoseconds to do it.

Also, never answer the phone with a mere “yes?” I’ve encountered several people who do this, and, honestly, I think that is rather rude. It gives me the impression that the person at the other end of the line is in a hurry and would prefer doing other things to answering the phone.

It would be nice, too, to make the caller then feel comfortable by saying, “is there anything I can help you with?” or “how may I help you?” or anything to that effect.

And remember to tone down your voice. Modulate. High-pitches are always very irritating and could easily turn-off potential customers.

If you have other tips to share, you can post them here, too. Just send them through my email, toonatoons@yahoo.com.ph , first, then I’ll edit my post to include your suggestions.

4 comments:

cwilson26 said...

Hi,

You responded to a discussion on Mylot about exchanging links with me. I was having a hard time getting on your blog but I have finally been able to and have added your link to my blog. Nice blog by the way and I have bookmarked it. I will read more when I have more time. :)

toonatoons said...

thanks, i appreciate it a lot.

Femail doc said...

I agree that the initial encounter on the phone can set the tone for the entire conversation. How about the technique of "Such-and-such a company, can you hold?" click, then you're on hold without even a moment to answer?

Interesting ideas on your site. I enjoyed reading your posts. Definitely get your triglycerides checked; elevated blood fats usually precede a fatty liver, and they also are markers for a high risk of progressing to diabetes. Triglycerides, or blood fats, also require insulin to exit the blood for storage in fat cells. An elevation is the first sign of insulin resistance, and high circulating triglycerides are toxic to the pancreas, thus hastening the inability to make enough insulin that results in diabetes.

Best,
Judy

toonatoons said...

wow, thanks, femail doc. i'll edit my post on fatty liver so i can write down what you said.