Apr 14, 2007

I MAY HAVE FATTY LIVER


Oh, no, this is really scary! I think, I may have fatty liver, just like my sister. I have all the signs --- well, most of it anyway. Maybe, I’m a little paranoid, but I’m slightly overweight, particularly in the middle, and I find it so hard to lose weight, no matter what I do. Hunger strikes, cellulite creams, exercises --- none could get rid of the “bulges”. I thought it’s just bad genetics, but reading this article at http://www.liverdoctor.com/Section4/fattyliver.asp, makes me think twice. My immune system, too, has been down lately. I exhibit allergic and flu-like symptoms whenever my period is coming up.
I haven’t undergone any blood chemistry yet, so I wouldn’t know if I have elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels. And, I don’t think I have type 2 diabetes (although I have a tendency to develop it because my mom is a diabetic). Still, I have 3 of about 7 tell-tale signs (the others being tiredness, syndrome x, and high cholesterol and triglyceride levels).
What happens with a fatty liver, I learned, is that the liver is storing fats, instead of burning them. So, if I don’t do anything about it, my liver could turn into a bag of fats! Horrible, just horrible!
Fatty liver may be linked to heavy alcohol-drinking, diabetes, and obesity. But poor diet and certain illnesses, like tuberculosis, and use of corticosteroids, could also cause fatty liver.
Treatment depends on the actual cause of the disease. If it’s just simple fatty liver, no treatment is required, maybe just some changes in dietary lifestyles and losing weight. Still, it should not be taken for granted as this could tend to progress into more serious liver conditions.

---------
An insight from a friend, Femaildoc,

Definitely get your triglycerides checked; elevated blood fats usually precede a fatty liver, and they also are markers for a high risk of progressing to diabetes. Triglycerides, or blood fats, also require insulin to exit the blood for storage in fat cells. An elevation is the first sign of insulin resistance, and high circulating triglycerides are toxic to the pancreas, thus hastening the inability to make enough insulin that results in diabetes.

Femaildoc authors the following health blogs:
http://femailhealthnews.blogspot.com
http://vintagefemail.blogspot.com

these sites are definitely worth checking, especially if you're a health buff.

No comments: