May 4, 2007

OF SEATBELTS AND SMOKE-BELCHING


While driving to work one day, I was stopped by an LTO official because I didn’t have my seatbelt on. Great! I was already running in late and this was hardly the way I wished to begin my day!

I obediently pulled over, and smiled brightly at the officer, silently wishing he would be bowled over by my charms and let me go. He wasn’t … and he didn’t. Instead, he glared at me and lectured me about the importance of seatbelts, blah, blah, blah. I tried to get a word in edgewise, but the officer ranted on with his litany, emphasizing the essential points, as if he’s talking to a not-so-very bright kid.

Of course, I knew the importance of seatbelts --- duh! But, hello! This was city driving, and with the traffic and all that, the fastes I could go would be 30 km an hour! Why the focus on seatbelts? Jeepney operators continuously violate anti-smoke-belching laws --- why didn’t they get apprehended? Hey, I was almost brought to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning!


Okay, so maybe there’s a bit of an exaggeration there. My point is these traffic law enforcers should concern themselves more with those violations that would have an impact on the general public. And smoke-belching is truly a health hazard that could affect everybody, especially those with heart and lung diseases, the aged and the very young children.

1 comment:

Mark said...

whats smoke-belching???