Feb 25, 2010

Starting Early

I can say for certain that it's never too early to expose your child to learning tools. Not many may agree with me, but ...

AJ was barely four months old when I bought her flash cards of the English Alphabet. Around that time I bought her her first book - a dinosaur book that's made of fabric. I bought her more books after that and encouraged her to look at the pictures.

When she was 9 months old, she could already say apple (although it sound more like apoh, still...) At one year and 2 months, she has over a hundred words in her vocabulary. At one year and 7 months, she can identify the letters of the alphabet and the colors red, blue, yellow, green, orange, purple, brown, white, even black. And she can tell yellow from gold and the other way around.

She can count numbers from 1 to 14, and pick up the lyrics to a song quite easily - even songs in Latin, no kidding! AJ can sing the first few lines of Despedida a la Virgen and she sings this often. I can say that this may be her favorite song - she wants me to sing it to her to lull her to sleep.

My point is, I'm not a genius and neither is her Dad, so if AJ turns out to be smart, it couldn't be because of genetics, could it?

I think it does help a lot to introduce your kid to learning tools, like books, early on.

And it helps, too, to always talk to your child. Always. 



No comments: