Feb 23, 2010

Undomestic Mom

Reading Sophie Kinsella's Undomestic Goddess left me ticklish. It was so hilarious it completely de-stressed me. I was practically laughing out loud, line by line, page by page. You should get a copy of it and watch the blues just melt away.

I can somehow relate to the book, perhaps because I'm kind of "undomestic" myself. No, I wasn't born with a silver spoon and definitely wasn't raised like a brat, but we had help around the house most of the time, so I never got around to doing household chores. Besides, I always reasoned, I couldn't get my hands wet after playing the piano (notwithstanding the fact that early on, I would hit just a couple of notes. Certainly, washing the dishes would not cause my fingers to swell or give me carpal tunnel syndrome. Still...)

The thing is, it's not that I couldn't do anything. I know how to use the microwave and the toaster and I know how to turn on the gas range, too. So,really, you can't say that I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING, and it's not like I'm a bad mom, either. Not the best one, for sure, but not bad. At least, I don't think so, because I have a lot of love for my daughter and I show it to her in all the ways I could.

No comments: